A Java, C#, .Net, C, Sybase and Oracle Software Developer is generally responsible for the development, design and implementation of new or modified software products or ongoing business projects. Typically sitting within the IT team of a business, a Software Developer will be involved in liaising with the Business Analysts and Development Managers to ensure software projects meet requirements.
- Researching, designing, implementing and managing software programs
- Testing and evaluating new programs.
- Identifying areas for modification in existing programs and subsequently developing these modifications.
- Writing and implementing efficient code.
- Determining operational practicality.
- Developing quality assurance procedures.
- Deploying software tools, processes and metrics.
- Maintaining and upgrading existing systems.
- Training users.
- Working closely with other developers, UX designers, business and systems analysts.
A degree and a technical background should be required to gain a Software Developer role. Degrees in the following subjects should be highlighted as particularly advantageous:
- Computer Science.
- Computer Software Engineering.
- Software Programming and Development.
As well as formal qualifications, a Software Developer job description should highlight the following qualities:
- Knowledge and interest in computer systems and the latest technologies.
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- An analytical mind.
- The ability to communicate complex procedures to other colleagues.
- Commercial and business awareness.
- Good communication skills – both written and verbal.
- Attention to detail and desire to probe further into data.
See Other Jobs….